About This Interview
Harvey Bullock (1921-2006) was interviewed for two hours in Monarch Beach, CA. Bullock talked about his early love of writing and breaking into the business in radio and, with partner Ray Allen, early television. Bullock described working on several programs, including his stint on the Today show with Dave Garrowa y. Bullock spoke fondly about his work as one of the key writers of the sitcom classic The Andy Griffith Show. For this series, Bullock talked about each of the series cast members, teleplays he wrote (including the classics "The Pickle Story" and "Opie the Birdman"), and what the series meant to him. Bullock then spoke about several later series he worked on which extended into the mid-1980s. B-roll consisted of several stills from The Andy Griffith Show. The interview was conducted by Karen Herman on October 6, 2005.
Related To This Video
YouTube video player - HTML5 compatible.
- Harvey Bullock on writing for The Andy Griffith Show; on writing the episode "Opie the Birdman"; on working with Andy Griffith and Don Knotts
Clip begins at: 18:00, Duration: 12m 00s
- Harvey Bullock on writing for The Andy Griffith Show; on writing "Opie the Birdman" and "The Pickle Story" episodes; on working with the cast
Clip begins at: 00:01, Duration: 28m 59s
- Harvey Bullock on writing episodes of The Andy Griffith Show including "Andy's English Valet" and "The Legend of Barney Fife"; on writing Return to Mayberry; on the legacy of The Andy Griffith Show
Clip begins at: 00:01, Duration: 16m 39s
- Harvey Bullock on writing for Alice; on working with the cast
Clip begins at: 11:26, Duration: 04m 16s
- Harvey Bullock on his writing style and his advice to comedy writers
Clip begins at: 23:00, Duration: 05m 00s