How the Grinch Stole Christmas
About This Show
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! is a 1966 American animated television special directed by Chuck Jones. It is based on the children's book of the same title by Dr. Seuss, the story of The Grinch trying to take away Christmas from the townsfolk below. The special, which is considered a short film as it runs less than an hour, is one of the very few Christmas specials from the 1960's to still be shown regularly on television. Boris Karloff narrates the film and also provides the speaking voice of The Grinch (the opening credits state, "The sounds of the Grinch are by Boris Karloff. And read by Boris Karloff, too!").
The 26-minute short was originally telecast on CBS on December 18, 1966. CBS repeated it annually during the Christmas season until 1987. It was eventually acquired by Turner Broadcasting System, which now shows it several times between November and January. It has since been broadcast on TNT, Cartoon Network, and The WB Television Network. Most recently, it has been shown on ABC, but with some scenes trimmed down because of time constraints (the show was made at a time when commercial breaks on television were shorter than they are now). In any event, as of the present time, it is the lead-off "classic" special (i.e. the first classic special) that airs on network television each Christmas season.
- Chuck Jones on getting Boris Karloff to narrate How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Clip begins at: 13:39, Duration: 06m 18s
- Voice artist June Foray on being a favorite of Chuck Jones who cast her as "Cindy Lou Who" in How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Clip begins at: 05:46, Duration: 00m 52s
- Chuck Jones on the song "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch"- sung by the man who voiced "Tony the Tiger"
Clip begins at: 18:46, Duration: 01m 11s
- Animator Phil Roman on what Boris Karloff brought to the voice work for How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Clip begins at: 08:31, Duration: 00m 51s
- Ron Howard on pitching the movie version of the childrens' TV classic How the Grinch Stole Christmas to the widow of Dr. Seuss
Clip begins at: 01:52, Duration: 02m 23s
- Animator Phil Roman on why he feels How the Grinch Stole Christmas has become a TV classic
Clip begins at: 00:12, Duration: 01m 15s
- Ron Howard on Jim Carrey's performance in the lead role of the movie version of the children’s TV classic How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Clip begins at: 04:23, Duration: 01m 29s
- Chuck Jones on voiceover artist June Foray - "Cindy Lou Who"
Clip begins at: 15:35, Duration: 00m 38s
- Voice artist June Foray on not being credited on How the Grinch Stole Christmas (but how well-known it is that she provided the voice of "Cindy Lou Who")
Clip begins at: 06:51, Duration: 00m 25s
- Chuck Jones on How the Grinch Stole Christmas - securing a sponsor for the program, getting Boris Karloff to narrate, and extending the story in the book
Clip begins at: 10:52, Duration: 07m 50s